Setting up security for all Team Projects on all involved TFS Components (TFS, SharePoint and SQL Reporting Services) for all individual users might be quite frustrating and error-prone from time to time.
I have seen this type of mismanagement once too many now. About time to publish some basic guidelines on how to manage Team Project security rights and permissions across all involved TFS components.
Download my recommended strategy for getting rid of the familiar red crosses in Team Explorer and manage TFS security wisely.
- New Team Project
- Group Membership for Team Project
- What about security for SharePoint and SQL Reporting Services
- Welcoming the TFS Administration Tool (v2.1)
- Make use of Active Directory groups
References used in the recommendation:
- Organizing your Team Foundation Server with Team Project Collections
- Fine-grained permissions in TFS 2010
- Organizing Your Server with Team Project Collections
- Team Foundation Server 2010 Permissions
- Team Foundation Server Administration Tool v2.1 (Codeplex)
A final note to conclude: the explained Team Project permission sets are not the only available permission sets in the Team Project. Read my previous blogpost on fine-grained permissions in TFS 2010 for more information.